Huguenots in London
Ever
wondered what Nigel Farage, Simon Le Bon, Eddie Izzard, Laurence Olivier and
Daphne du Maurier all have in common? Answer: they are all of Huguenot descent.
The arrival of these skilled French artisans in late 17th century
Britain was to have a substantial economic and cultural impact, particularly in
London where the newcomers laid the foundations of the ‘rag trade’ that was to
become so important for the capital’s prosperity.
Protestants had already suffered persecution in Catholic
France for over a century before what limited privileges they had were finally
removed by the Revocation of the Edict of Nantes in 1685, a law which had been
enacted to protect the rights of Protestants after the Massacre of St
Bartholomew. Its removal led to terrible carnage, with Protestant houses and
businesses destroyed and people threatened with violence if they refused to
convert to Catholicism.
 |
Huguenot immigrants arriving in Dover, 1685 |
Although emigration was effectively outlawed, about 200,000
Huguenots left France to settle in non-Catholic Europe - the Netherlands,
Germany, especially Prussia, Switzerland, Scandinavia, and even as far as
Russia where Huguenot craftsmen could find customers at the court of the Czars.
The Dutch East India Company sent a few hundred to the Cape to develop the
vineyards in southern Africa. About 50,000 came to England, perhaps about
10,000 moving on to Ireland.
 |
Exit routes taken by fleeing Huguenots |
Some 13,000 Huguenots came to London, most from the cities
of Tours and Lyon. William III guaranteed the incomers’ rights of worship and
issued a proclamation granting them: “all privileges and immunities for the
liberty and free exercise of their trade and craft… to render their living here
comfortable and easy to them”. This was very welcome as those who did leave
their homeland were not allowed to bring any money or possessions with them.
They called their flight Le Refuge and themselves réfugiés,
hence a new word (refugee) was coined.
By 1700 there were around 25,000 French Huguenots in a London
of over half a million people. The refugees settled in three principle areas – Spitalfields,
Wandsworth and Soho. By 1711 probably two in five inhabitants of the parish of
St Anne’s Soho were French, with dense clusters around Old Compton Street.
 |
Silk merchant's shopfront in Artillery Lane, 1756 |
The new arrivals were
mostly well-educated, middle-class artisans and journeymen silk weavers. These
were the ones who settled in Spitalfields. Silk weaving was already going on in
this area and was highly lucrative given that silk was used for everything from clothes to
headwear and domestic hangings. But the Huguenots’ particular skills with fine
French silks transformed the industry. Some of the weavers amassed huge
fortunes, hence the large houses you can still see today on Spital Square and
in Fournier Street.
 |
Weavers' houses in Fournier St |
Weavers’ house are always easy to recognise as they have
‘long lights’, windows that maximised daylight in the upper storeys where the
work was carried out.
But not all Huguenots were weavers. Some made a living from
market gardening in Chelsea and Battersea, calico printing and felt hat-making
in Wandsworth or clock and watchmaking, gun-making, silversmithing and
cabinetmaking in Soho. There were also Huguenot glass-blowers, jewellers and
locksmiths throughout the West End.
Of all these occupations, silk-weaving was the most susceptible
to frequent periods of interruption due to a lack of raw materials or changes
in fashion, each downtime leaving workers in financial difficulties. The
Huguenots chose not to be a burden on the poor law authorities, preferring to
make their own arrangements for those of their number who were in need. La
Maison de Charité de Spitalfields (or ‘La Soupe’) was founded in
1689-90 to serve meals for Huguenots around Spitalfields and Bethnal Green who
could not provide for themselves.
They also established many self-help Friendly Societies,
often based on the regions of France the immigrants had originally hailed from.
In 1718 came the Hospital for Poor French Protestants, known affectionately by
inmates as La Providence, off Old Street. Initially it could manage 80
inmates but by 1760 extensions to the building allowed for up to 234 residents.
 |
Hogarth's 'Noon', 1738 |
This willingness to be self-sufficient meant that the
Huguenots were generally welcomed by the local population, especially given
that the English also hated the Pope! Despite threatened riots against foreign
weavers in the East End in 1675, 1681 and 1683, , there appears to have been
little physical violence directed against the French refugees and they were
generally respected and accepted. In his painting and subsequent print The
Four Times of Day: Noon, created in 1738, William Hogarth contrasts the
prosperous, smartly-dressed and sober Huguenot churchgoers – seen leaving the French Chapel
in Bog Lane, Soho - with the more chaotic group of English outside the tavern
on the opposite side of the street.
Freedom to worship was, of course, paramount and French
Protestant churches soon sprang up everywhere. By 1700 there were around 24 Huguenot
churches in London, with at least nine in or close to the Spitalfields area and
fourteen in Soho. In 1711 the vestry of St Anne’s Soho reckoned that 40% of its
population was French, such that in the mid-eighteenth century William Maitland
could claim: "Many parts of this parish so greatly abound with French
that it is an easy matter for a stranger to imagine himself in France".
 |
L'Eglise Neuve, now Brick Lane Mosque |
Three former Huguenot chapel buildings still survive in the Spitalfields
area: L’Eglise de L’Artillerie, built in 1766 on the old artillery
ground, later taken over by Ashkenazi Jews to become the Sandys Row synagogue; La
Patente in Hanbury Street, built in 1719 and now the Hanbury Hall arts
centre; and L’Eglise Neuve on the corner of Fournier Street and Brick
Lane, dating from 1743, which became a Wesleyan chapel, then a synagogue in the
late 19th century and finally a mosque in the 1980s.
 |
L'Eglise Protestante de Londres, Soho Square |
Today the Huguenot presence in Soho is represented by the Grade
II-listed
L’Église Protestante Française de Londres on Soho Square, the last
remaining Huguenot church in London offering French-speaking services and
cultural events. Though this building dates from 1893, the original French Protestant
church can be traced back to the reign of Edward VI who authorised the founding
of a Strangers’ Church for those of French and Walloon origin in 1550.
Within a few decades of their arrival in this country, the
Huguenots had fully integrated and lost many of their outward ethnic trappings.
By the second half of the 18th century, French was being used much
less and large numbers chose to anglicize their names: Lenoir became Black,
Blanc became White and Bonenfant became Goodchild, for example. But their
influence is still very much evident in the history and architecture of
significant areas of London and it is estimated that as many as two in every
three English people has Huguenot blood in their veins. Eh
bien, dis donc!
References:
London in the
Eighteenth Century Jerry White
The East End Chronicles
Ed Glinert
Website: https://www.huguenotsociety.org.uk/history.html